MMGM (1/14/2018): 5 MG Books to Read When You're Sick!

This week, with all of the flu and illness going around, I was planning to go back through my reviews and make a list of MG books that are great to read when you’re sick. I wasn’t really sure what made books better than others when one is sick, but now I know, since . . . I got sick! :( I realized that the best books for when someone is sick are those with rich description and something constantly happening, allowing readers to leave their own misery for a while. Therefore, here are my 5 top books to read when you’re sick!

Dumpling Days by Grace Lin
Click here for original review

This book (the third in a series based on the author's real life, although this novel can be read by itself) chronicles her trip to Taiwan as a child. As I read this novel, I felt like I was on a trip myself, getting to try new foods, learn about Taiwanese culture, and even see what the different cities of Taiwan are like! Pacy (or Grace in English) is kept busy throughout the trip, visiting new areas, taking classes, and seeing family. For anyone who wants to drop everything and travel but cannot do so practically, Dumpling Days is a perfect read!

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Click here for original review

This classic novel has been famous for its entire 107-year existence, and for good reason! Mary's new life with her uncle and his servants in England is full of discovery and nature as Mary begins to explore and warm up to England and mystery as she discovers the titular garden and other, stranger secrets as well. The Secret Garden could be thought of as a precursor to the many novels of today set in mysterious, old-fashioned homes. If you're looking for intrigue, nature, and a different time period, The Secret Garden is for you!


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Click here for original review

The Mysterious Benedict Society shows the at-times-delightful, at-times-suspenseful, and always-interesting adventures of four genius children (logical Reynie, fact-filled Sticky, resourceful Kate, and stubborn Constance) as they try to thwart evil by infiltrating a suspicious school. The interactions between the four main characters are often hilarious and sometimes sad, and interest is piqued as the kids discover just what the school owner, Mr. Curtain, is up to. The Mysterious Benedict Society is a great pick for a fast-paced, enjoyable read!
Greenglass House by Kate Milford
Click here for original review

Greenglass House is a very unique mystery. In a part of the world filled with smugglers and thieves, Milo's parents run a small hotel, which fills up with five interesting characters during the winter holidays. Milo and his new friend Meddy are then forced to team up, adopt alter egos, and try to solve the suspicious crimes that keep occurring at the hotel. Learning the backstory and motives for each character will keep readers guessing until the end, and anyone can sink into the vivid setting! For anyone looking for a wonderful, unique mystery, Greenglass House is for you!

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur
Click here for original review

After her father and sister die in a car accident and her mother, consumed with guilt for driving the car, runs away and leaves her daughter alone, Aubrey ends up moving from Virginia to Vermont to live with her grandmother. In this new setting, she makes new friends and gets to know her grandmother, but she is also upset by her father's and sister's deaths. Aubrey's struggles are not overly upsetting, however, and readers will find themselves drawn into the novel. Love, Aubrey is perfect for anyone who prefers a more lifelike story that still sucks readers in.

If any of you get sick, I hope you get well soon and enjoy these picks! If you don't get sick, I hope you will consider reading these novels at some point, since they can be enjoyed at any time!

Comments

  1. Sorry that you got sick. Hope you're feeling better. Thanks for reminding me about Grace Lin's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon with this great selection of books. I've read two of these but will check out the others. Timely post as I have neighbors and friends all down with something this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon. Glad you were able to get some reading in though. I have been reading a lot of Grace Lin's books lately. I have Dumpling Days in my pile. I love the sound of Love Aubrey. I am going to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of the crud around. Hope you weren't sick for too long.
    Nice choice of books. I read Love, Aubrey several years ago (though not while sick!) and thought it was lovely and lyrical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent list! The Secret Garden is always a fave! It feels like the sick boy in the story is getting well along with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great list. I hope I avoid the flu, but I also hope I can get to these books. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices! I always turn to old favorites when I'm sick: the literary equivalent of a cup of steaming chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better. But, I do like the books you shared for when you aren't well. Loved the Green Glass House and want to read the sequel. I had a medical procedure yesterday and have been laying low -- and reading. Great reason to escape into a good book that changes your focus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment—I always love reading them! ✨✨

Popular posts from this blog

MMGM and #IMWAYR: Jukebox by Nidhi Chanani

MMGM and #IMWAYR (11/16/2020): This One Summer, written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Jillian Tamaki

MMGM and #IMWAYR: Allergic, written by Megan Wagner Lloyd and illustrated by Michelle Mee Nutter