MMGM (5/8/2017): Flying Lessons & Other Stories, edited by Ellen Oh

For MMGM, I am recommending Flying Lessons & Other Stories by various authors, and edited by Ellen Oh.




Flying Lessons & Other Stories is not a typical middle grade book. It is a collection of short stories from various middle-grade authors, some new and some well-known, with an emphasis on diversity. This is not shocking, considering that the book is affiliated with We Need Diverse Books (a cofounder of which, Ellen Oh, edited the book). I love this book! Each story is interesting, usually being about 20 pages, the perfect length for their plots. It is very satisfying to read short stories by some of my favorite authors, such as Grace Lin (whose books I have recommended here and here).   Several of the authors are even Newbery winners! I also love the diversity of the stories, especially since it is actually a major part of each story, as opposed to simply being a meaningless statement that does not change the story. This book is perfect for anyone, whether in school or just as a personal read, and makes a powerful statement about the importance of diversity in books.

Comments

  1. This sounds like a great anthology. I love Ellen Oh and Grace Lin. And the WeNeedDiverseBooks group. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find short stories an easier sell for reluctant readers. So glad this one has a list of stellar authors behind it with diversity throughout. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with above....short stories are great for kids....especially the ones wbo want to read less for various reasons. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to have a book of short stories at hand. Sometimes I just have a little time. Thanks for telling me about this one. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love reading short stories as a kid. I don't read so many now, but I wonder if it's because they aren't being published as collections as much. This sounds like an interesting anthology. I'm also a fan of Grace Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! A collection of short stories sounds intriguing! I love how it promotes diversity too! Sounds like a keeper, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this collection (reviewed it in January). Which story was your favorite? It was hard for me to pick a favorite, but if I had to, I'd pick Kwame Alexander's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also not sure of my favorite, but I really liked the story by Kelly J. Baptist.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment—I always love reading them! ✨✨

Popular posts from this blog

MMGM and #IMWAYR: Jukebox by Nidhi Chanani

MMGM and #IMWAYR (11/16/2020): This One Summer, written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Jillian Tamaki

MMGM and #IMWAYR: Allergic, written by Megan Wagner Lloyd and illustrated by Michelle Mee Nutter